Up ]

U 247

U 247 was despatched to the Bristol Channel as part of the 1944 inshore campaign. In a strange twist of irony, she met her end at the hands of the Canadian anti-submarine frigate Swansea.
U 247
Type VII C
Laid down 16 Dec 1942 F. Krupp Germania Werft AG, Kiel
Commissioned 23 Oct 1943 Oblt. Gerhard Matschulat
Commander 10.43 - 09.44 Oblt. Gerhard Matschulat


October 1943 - May 1944 5 U-Flottille (Kiel)
June 1944 - September 1944 9 U-Flottille (Brest)

Patrol 1  18 May 1944. Left Kiel and arrived at Arendal on 20 May 1944.

Patrol 2  27 May 1944. Left Arendal. U 247 was used in sea trials, as a comparison with the Alberich-coated U 480. On completion U 247 put in to Bergen on 28 May 1944.

Patrol 3  31 May 1944. Left Bergen to operate in British coastal waters. From 15 June 1944, the boat patrolled in the Minches and on the 18th she missed a battleship with torpedoes. On 5 July, U 247 sank the fishing vessel Noreen Mary (Br. 207t) at the north end of the Minch with his anti-aircraft guns. This was an extremely unusual event at this stage of the war with constant air patrols over this area. She put in to her new base at Brest on 28 July 1944.

Patrol 4  27 August 1944. U 247 was prepared for operations in the Baie de la Seine area. However the changing military circumstances and the aggressive Allied anti-submarine patrols in the English Channel forced U-boat command to consider a different strategy. Radio intelligence from U 667 suggested that the Bristol Channel had a substantial amount of traffic in support of the Overlord campaign. In addition, it was felt that anti-submarine activity was comparatively low. Accordingly, U 247 was one of four schnorkel boats despatched from Brest and La Pallice for operations in the Bristol Channel. It was hoped that this would divert anti-submarine forces from the English Channel and allow for the orderly evacuation of U-boats from the Biscay ports to Norway.

En route to her operational area, U 247 was located on a sonar sweep and sunk after a pursuit that lasted a whole night and most of the next day on 1 September 1944 off Wolf Rock by the frigates HMCS Swansea (Cdr. C A King) and St John (Lt-Cdr. W R Stacey) of the Canadian hunter-killer Support Group Nine. There were no survivors, 52 dead.