Swansea History Web. The Slip one of Swansea's favorite landmarks.

Early bathing in Swansea Bay

Early bathing in Swansea Bay ] The Slip emerges ] Swansea Slip : the place to be... ] Swansea Slip: The place to be (continued) ] Swansea Slip:decline and fall ] Swansea Slip: Cleaning up the act ] Swansea Bay : The cleanup starts here ] Building a bridge at Swansea Slip ] [ The Swansea Slip Bridge ] Bert and Dick at the Beach ] Early Swansea sewerage schemes ] Swansea's Main Drainage Scheme ] Swansea's Main Drainage Scheme (Continued) ] A Map of Swansea's Main Drainage Scheme ] Swansea's sewerage system under Mumbles Head ] The Mumbles Head sewer outfall ] Slip Statistics ]

Bathing at the Slip has a long history. In the 1780s, sufficient people were making their way to Swansea for the waters to prompt the Corporation to involve themselves in the development of a genteel bathing house near the site of the present County Hall, by the 1790s, a fine assembly house and numerous bathing machines graced the beach at this point. However, this was bathing for ladies and gentlemen, usually well heeled visitors. Bathing was seen as an exclusive health and leisure activity, a complete social protocol developed which reflected a person’s social and financial standing. Clearly the many local residents who also enjoyed taking to the waters did not conform to the niceties of ‘civilised bathing.' They were often loud, coarse and most horrifying of all, they were not disposed to wear bathing costumes. The net result was that the Corporation reserved the portion of the beach between County Hall and Black Point (now West Pier), for tourists and gentlefolk. The local residents were encouraged to bathe elsewhere.

An early view of bathing machines on Swansea's Beach.


The locality favoured by residents was the point on the seashore that would eventually form the Slip. It was considered far enough away from the Bathing House so as not to offend the sensibilities of genteel tourists. This ‘alternative’ bathing scene obviously had its own attractions as this diary entry from 1802 shows:


'As we were strolling on the sands, about a mile above the town, we remarked a group of figures, in birthday attire, gambolling in the water: not suspecting that they were women we passed carelessly on, but how great was our surprise, on approaching them, to find that the fact did not admit of a doubt. We had not paused a minute, before they all came running towards us, with a menacing tone and countenance, that would seem to order us away. Though we did not understand their British sentences, we obeyed, and very hastily too, on finding a volley of stones rattling about our ears. This hostile demonstration, we afterwards found, arose from a suspicion that we were going to remove their clothes, a piece of waggery often practised by the visitants of Swansea. to enjoy their running nudiores ovo. The girls knew we were not their countrymen. or we should have passed unconcerned; unless, indeed, acquaintances, who would have made their usual salutation, and perhaps joined in the party’s amusement. In our subsequent rambles on the beach these liberal exhibitions of Cambrian beauty afforded us many pleasing studies of unsophisticated nature.'

(Taken from J.T. Barber, A Tour throughout South Wales and Monmouthshire (London, 1803)

By the 1850s this particular spot on the beach was evidently well established. People would congregate here in the summer months and the place became notorious for theft, robbery and misfortune. It is also likely that an ‘alternative’ market was in operation. A place for cheap stalls and stolen goods that could be bought and sold away from the prying eyes of the market officials and the Borough policemen.

Swansea Slip, an early plan. Left: A simple plan of the Slip area in the 1880s. The pub that would eventually be known as the Bay View is coloured red. The Slip is coloured green.
The Slip emerges continues the story

SHW Microhistory: 9. The Black Point Burrows.

This little ecosystem of dunes is one of the most remarkable survivals of the landscape of the original site of the original settlement of Swenes'

This little group of sand dunes has survived almost untouched for perhaps two thousand years. Caught between the sea and the South Dock, they have escaped any development and landscaping, and give us an idea of how the mouth of the River Tawe looked when the Viking and Norman settlers first decided to build a permanent settlement.

The dunes owe their existence to the phenomenon of 'longshore drift' which

continually moves sand and sediment along the beach from Mumbles to be gathered up at this point where the currents of the bay would come into conflict with the river waters of the Tawe. For generations of Swansea seafarers the area was known as 'Black Point'. The point disappeared in the 1790s when the West Pier was built in an attempt to ease navigation into the mouth of the river. The dune field was once much larger and did form part of the corporate estate enclosed under the 1762 Enclosure Act.

The remarkable survival of the dunes up to the present day is down to the fact that there has never been any need to remove them, although they have been nibbled around the edges by various building projects over the years. The demolition of the adjacent factory means that there is no protection for the dunes and most likely they will now be destroyed by unscrupulous property developers in the rush to build more luxury housing.

More SHW Microhistory

 Firefox 2


All content © Nigel A. Robins and Swansea History Web 2006, 2007

Citation information: www.swanseahistoryweb.org.uk/[page title].htm

Teacher's and Student's Guide (Sitemap) Sample pages

About Swansea History Web   If you want to navigate the site come to the Home Page or the Contents/Sitemap

If you subscribe you will receive a user name and password for the restricted pages

£3.99 for subscription access